Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Old friends and new

This is going to be one of those things that I spend ages pondering over. Got in touch with a member from a previous course who's also doing this course, to ask if she will join our workgroup. Never clapped eyes on this person but based on communications in the last course, seems like a good friend and part of my USQ team! In the same way, there are others I've never met that I know I won't get on with in a workgroup situation. Are these valid assumptions about these virtual coursemates? Do we reflect our true personalities online? Do we 'adjust' our personalities to appear like the people we would really like to be? Or is it impossible to hide your true personality no matter how hard you try!
I'm also amazed at the speed with which some form of connection can form, based on the flimsiest of reasons. Basically, if you make the effort you can build up a solid support network really quickly. And I think the earlier the better. If not, it could be like being the high school student who joins the class one month into the semester and it seems like everyone has already found their gang.
And of course, there will be the Lone Rangers. Before I started distance learning at USQ, I would have put money on being a Lone Ranger myself!
If you're interested in these online networks, have a look at Janet's page on Social Networking Software. She has a link to Carolyn Foote's blog that also provides interesting reading.

No comments: