Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Resnick continued

The "digital fluency gap" I'm wondering how serious a problem this is. I can drive a car, but I don't know how the engine works really, and if I have a problem I go to the expert. But I can drive a car. Isn't that the point?

"We need to reform educational reform." Absolutely.The issues here where I work are cost, the right expertise, man hours, cultural appropriacy, length of time to do it properly, trialling, willingness to accept initial failure, willingness to deal with those who fight for the status quo, etc etc. You can see why it doesn't happen!

I think Resnick would approve of the project-based learning push in my department. We already meet the criteria: "Students can become more active and independent learners, with the teacher serving as consultant"...."we should focus on themes and projects that cut across the disciplines, taking advantage of the rich connections among different domains of knowledge"...."students work on projects for extended periods of time"...

"we need to transform curricula so that they focus less on "things to know" and more on "strategies for learning the things you don't know." This ties is within Siemens (***FIND REF) "knowing where" not "knowing what". Why memorize the capitals of the world if I know there is a source of that information somewhere that I know where and how to access when I need it?

Industrial Society - focus on natural resources and manufacturing
Information Society - focus on info
Knowledge Society - transforming info into knowledge and managing that knowledge.

Creative Society (Resnick) - focus on our ability to think and act creatively.

No comments: